BURNHAM & DISTRICT MODEL RAILWAY CLUB.
LIMITED EDITION WAGONS
LIMITED EDITION WAGONS
Newsletter 77 SEPTEMBER 2018
It is with much regret to report that this will be the last newsletter as John is retiring from the hard work he has been doing over the last 10 years into the research of the wagons, the artwork and the permissions necessary in getting the wagons ready for sale to you, our customers.
We must applaud John for his hard work especially in his Community Support which has resulted in £87,084.95 being donated by BDMRC to various charities.
NEW ISSUES THIS MONTH (4)
Maurice Jones Coal & Stone Merchant
5 plank open wagon
Uffculme Steam Brewery van
Great Western Railway Furniture Removal Service
This is the standard GWR Conflat and Container but with a
Limited Edition container number, k-1709. The conflat was suggested by A fellow collector who supplied a photo from which the finished Wagon was made.
Rhymney Brewery van
Existing wagon with number 4
Anchor Brewery Littlehampton VAN
Yellow Van running number 3 belonging to
G.S.Constable & Sons Ltd.
Mendip Granite Works
5 PLANK OPEN WAGON
ABERTHAW and BRISTOL CHANNEL CEMENT
8 PLANK OPEN WAGON
Druid Brand cement based in Aberthaw near Cardiff
in red livery running no. 39 with white script
NORMAN HUNT of SEDDLESCOMBE,BATTLE, SUSSEX
in cream running no.9 black script with a CONQUEST logo in silver & black
Our 5th and latest in this series from this brewery
ELHAM VALLEY BRICKWORKS of KENT
4 PLANK OPEN WAGON in red livery, running no.2 with black iron work, black script & a BRICK load.
The brickworks was in Elham itself having it’s own private siding, The Elham Valley Railway was opened in 1889 making a valuable by service to the brickworks by extending haulage areas for the brick deliveries around Kent. When the clay in the pit was exhausted the brickworks closed in 1905. The railway was closed in 1947 by the Southern Railway.
Today visitors can go to the Elham Valley Line Trust & Railway Museum.
HODSON LTD. PRIDE OF SUSSEX FLOUR of ROBERTSBRIDGE SUSSEX
In grey livery with white script shaded black running no.15
Our 2nd wagon from this flour mill (1st one sold out)
They had their own ex SECR "P" class loco with Pride of Sussex painted on its sides
(Hattons model shop have released this loco this month.
ROBERT LOVE & CO. of CHARD SOMERSET
CONTAINER ON G.W.R. or S.R. CONFLAT LOW STOCK on both
in brown livery with a black roof, white script shaded yellow. Running no.15
Based in Holyrood street, Chard,1899 was listed as a general broker and dealer in new and used furniture. Was listed in 1897 as an Auctioneer also was a cabinet maker house furnisher and removal contractors
THIS WAGON COMES WITH A CHOICE OF CONFLAT G.W.R. OR S.R. Please state your preference when ordering
S.V.R. (SWANSEA VALE RAILWAY) of SWANSEA
in grey livery with a cream roof, white script Running no.75
This railway was built to carry coal, minerals & other goods from the Swansea valley to the docks at Swansea.
It carried passengers from C.1860. Absorbed into the Midland Railway in 1876
The line finally closed in 1983.
HAMBRIDGE BREWERY of CURRY RIVEL SOMERSET
VAN in grey livery with a black roof, black script shaded white. Running no.1
Founded by the Lang family in 1780. In 1900 acquired Henry Seiven's brewery of Curry Rivel. Brewing ceased in 1953 to concentrate on cider making. 1958 acquired by Ind Coope (Halls)Ltd.
C. J. DIMOND of TORQUAY DEVON
CONTAINER ON G.W.R.. CONFLAT
in brown livery with a black roof, white script shaded yellow. Running no.15
STYLE & WINCH (MEDWAY BREWERY) of MAIDSTONE KENT
VAN in yellow livery with a white roof, black script shaded red & a black logo. Running no.4
Began in Chatham in Kent by the Best family 1851 Edward Winch first leased the brewery
Then purchased it C1984 Then later merged with A.f. Style of Medway Brewery in Maidstone
Finaly closed in 1971
SWANSEA UNITED BREWERY of Orange Street Swansea
VAN in beige livery with a black roof, black script and a black logo.
Another wagon in the WELSH series!
Started in 1890 until brewing ceased in 1989
CHARLES PITHER & SON. of CASTLE CARY & BRUTON SOMERSET
CONTAINER ON G.W.R.. CONFLAT in red livery with yellow script no.2 and a black roof
After acquiring a furniture business in Castle Cary fro a George Baker in 1898 building it up into an extensive family business.
Also a furniture removals side to the business, became a limited co. in 1923
WELSH HILLS (THOMAS & EVANS) ORANGEADE
VAN In red livery with yellow script shaded black, and a white roof, running no.10
Our 6th issue in this series, this time with a new running no & depicting ORANGEADE.
This was the fore runner of the well known drink CORONA
NEWBURY BROS. of BATTLE LTD. SUSSEX
VAN In red livery with white script, and a white roof.
Fruit preserving & confectionary Works.
THE EITHER SIDE BRAKE CO. of LONDON
5 PLANK OPEN WAGON in light grey with white script shaded black running no.2 & a COAL LOAD
D. J. HOPKINS of SOUTH DOCK SWANSEA
7 PLANK OPEN WAGON In RED livery with white script shaded black, black end irons, running no.35
and a COAL load.
There is little known about this wagon apart it was one of a number wagons that acquired their coal from Bryndu Colliery
THE GENERAL HAULAGE & STORAGE COMPANY of SWANSEA
VAN In grey livery with white script shaded black, and a cream roof. Running no.12
Apart from a photograph kindly given to us, we have been unable to find this wagons history.
We would be very pleased if anyone has anything about it!
JOHN BOYD TEXTILES LTD. of CASTLE CARY SOMERSET
VAN In sandy yellow livery with black script shaded red, and a black roof, running no.3
One of the last companies in the world to weave with horse hair. First established in 1837 and still using the original looms & techniques from 1870
DEVONSHIRE GIRL BRAND CREAM of SAMPFORD PEVERELL DEVON
VAN In red livery with black script shaded yellow, a black logo,and a white roof, running no.2
In 1884 a business started at Fordlands Farm, Chevithorne the home of R. S. Norrish
In 1899 a factory was established in Sampford Peverell trading as R.S. Norish &Sons Ltd.
EDINBURGH& DUMFRIESSHIRE DAIRIES
6 wheel Tanker In cream livery with blue script shaded black, running no.23
The THIRD in the scottish series!......
In the 1920's at a time when small operators could not find enough fresh milk to satisfy the residents of Edinburgh, the Edinburgh & Dumfriesshire dairies solved the problem by bringing fresh milk into the city by train.
Now part of the Muller group known as Muller Wiseman dairies.
JOHN BYFORD & SON of MOODY WHARF POPLAR EAST LONDON
LIME WAGON in yellow ochre livery with black end irons and white script with black shading, & a cream roof running no.11
Born in Lambeth South London, in 1834.By 1874 was trading as a coal merchant, in 1878 he was also a lighterman at Bridge Wharf. He had many depots and sidings eg. Poplar, Southend, Barking, East Ham. He also dealt in cement, bricks, chalk limes, blue lias, hair, laths, tiles, sand and more. He also had a number of sailing barges!
ISAAC WRIGHT of RYE SUSSEX
CONTAINER ON S. E. R. CONFLAT in grey livery with a white roof, with yellow script shaded black.
Isaac Wright advertised his address as the “Crown Inn, Rye, Sussex.
He offered a removal and warehousing Service.He also stated that he was an agent to the South Eastern Railway.
E.S. BEAVEN (MALTINGS) Ltd. of WARMINSTER, DISS & GREAT YARMOUTH
VAN in cream with red script, a black roof, running no.5
E.S. Beaven (Maltings) was the maltings subsidiary of Arthur Guinness Son& Co (Great Britian) Ltd. and named after the previous propietor of the Warminster Maltings , Dr. Edwin Sloper Beaven.
JOHN STEPHEN'S SON & CO. LTD. of GLOUCESTER
VAN in royal blue livery with white script & red shading, a white roof running no. 31
Jam, Pickle Manufacturers & Vinegar Brewers.
Established in 1870, In 1881 he was employing 110 people became a Limited co. in 1901
soon employing 400 people after taking over a jam, marmalade, fruits, sauces & much more...
The business was wound up in 1932
S. HEALING & SONS of TEWKESBURY
Borough Flour Mills
VAN in dark brown livery with a cream roof, white script shaded black, running no.12
The Borough Flour Mills were served by the River Avon, by road & the Tewkesbury branch of the Bristol & Gloucester Railway. It was a producer of both flour and animal feeds.
BUDDEN& BIGGS of STROOD & ROCHESTER KENT
VAN In grey livery with white script shaded black, with a cream roof, running no.1
The Biggs brewery was started by Joseph Biggs in Wrotham. Then moved to Strood, in the late 1850's was called the Strood Steam Ale Brewery.
OLD DELABOLE SLATE COMPANY of DELABOLE CORNWALL
PRESFLO in yellow with a light brown Panel with white script shaded light blue.
Our first presflo wagon!
When Industries in Cornwall are talked about, often China clay comes to mind! Approx 2 miles West of Camelford an old but still active industry is the Delabole Slate Quarry. Being some 425 feet deep and more than a mile and a half in cicumference producing high quality slate. In 1841 five quarries amalgamated into a single unit to become Old Delabole Slate Company.
THE NORTON MILLS CO. of Norton Fitzwarren Taunton
VAN in green, running no.4, with white script and a grey roof.
After a lot of requests here it is!
Our second vehicle from this company, first issued in Feb. 2010 (sold out)
A flour mill producing both plain & self raising flour. Like Taunton Cider both now gone
FIRST SWISS ALPINE MILK EXPORTING Co. of RAMSHORN SWITZERLAND.
6 WHEEL TANKER in white, with green script & a black logo, running no. 101
Little is known about this company. It operated from 1882. was based in England
JOHN GIBBON, GLYNTAFF QUARRY of PONTYPRIDD
4 PLANK OPEN WAGON with a stone load, in grey,running no.6 with black iron work,white script shaded black
There is very little information about John Gibbon and this wagon! apart it was built at Gloucester Railway Carriage & wagon Co. Limited works, and we have a picture of it.
In the Evening Express dated 19th May 1910, John Gibbon advertised for a qualified steam crane driver, for the Glyntaff Quarry.
HOARE BROTHERS ROAD METAL CONTRACTORS of TAVISTOCK, DEVON
20T STEEL OPEN MINERAL in black, running no.22, with white script and a TARMAC load
In 1912 Hoare Brothers began quarrying at Wallabrook Quarry, Tavistock, Devon.